Northern Illinois University has established a student emergency fund. Student emergency funds, distributed through the Office of the Dean of Students, provide limited funding to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses due to an emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incidents. Emergency funds are available to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students, with priority given to students whose ability to continue at NIU is placed at risk given the unexpected hardship.
Examples of Covered Expenses include but not limited to:
- Replacement of personal belongings (e.g. fire, flood, theft or natural disaster)
- Emergency temporary housing
- Emergency child care needs
- Travel expenses for a student to return home for the death of an immediate family member or other immediate family emergencies
- Emergency medical, dental or mental health expenses not covered by insurance (e.g. eyeglasses, medication, emergency/unexpected procedure)
- Safety needs, such as changing a lock on a door
The student emergency fund is a great example of Huskies helping Huskies!