Huskies United for the College of Education
The NIU College of Education’s mission is to prepare the next generation of teachers, athletic trainers, college professors, counselors, technology specialists, exercise scientists, principals, researchers, school business managers, superintendents and more. For the past 125 years, we have done just that. NIU graduates account for 1 of every 5 superintendents, 1 of every 9 principals and 1 out of every 16 teachers in Illinois.
We strive to give students in every College of Education program the best experience and preparation possible. You can make a difference. We encourage you to help by donating to one of the following areas, all of which align with our commitment to engage in high-quality teaching, research and service to prepare students for personal and professional success while equipping them to be leaders and advocates for social change.
Our Project Graduate program financially assists students in good academic standing who are within four semesters of graduation so that they can cross the finish line - and the stage at commencement! Your gift can help students to pay down tuition balances, purchase textbooks, cover exam fees or fill their tanks to travel to clinical experiences.
“As I began my student-teaching experience, I was filled with mixed emotions, being both excited and worried. I was excited to be furthering my education but I also felt worried because I was unable to cover my current transportation expenses due to lost hours at work. Your generous support has removed my moments of worrying about traveling expenses and given me joy, allowing me to focus more on expanding my experience of being the most effective teacher possible.”
– Project Graduate recipient
COLLEGE STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
By supporting the College of Education’s strategic priorities, you help fund important initiatives that keep us as a top college choice.
- Student Experience: We create an environment where all are appreciated for their individuality, respected for their diverse points of view, connected with colleagues and supported by allies. We offer all students engaging and authentic academic experiences. We support persistence in their programs through graduation and preparation for personal and professional success.
- Innovative Action: We develop or customize curricula, programs or practices to improve access; address workforce and community needs; and advance our fields of study.
- Social Justice: We address systems, policies and practices that marginalize people based on social and cultural identities. We empower students, faculty and staff to advocate for equity and social change.
- Research Advancement: We support our faculty and students in research engagement to deepen understanding, build theory, address problems of practice and/or foster partnerships.
- Intentional Growth: We attract and retain diverse faculty and staff. We enhance our student recruitment efforts to increase enrollment in programs that address market demand.
Our six academic departments are committed to cultivating an equity-focused, inclusive and transformational environment that inspires students, faculty and staff to strive for excellence. Your support helps them advance social justice, teaching, learning, research and practice in their program areas.
- Counseling and Higher Education (CAHE)
- Curriculum and Instruction (CI)
- Educational Technology, Research and Assessment (ETRA)
- Kinesiology and Physical Education (KNPE)
- Leadership, Educational Psychology and Foundations (LEPF)
- Special and Early Education (SEED)