NIU's College of Education is Thousands Strong!
The NIU College of Education’s mission is to prepare the next generation of teachers, athletic trainers, college professors, counselors, technology specialists, exercise scientists, principals, researchers, school business managers, superintendents and more. Over the past 125 years, we have done just that. Last year, NIU graduates accounted for 1 of every 5 superintendents in Illinois, 1 of every 9 principals in Illinois and 1 out of every 16 teachers in Illinois.
Modern times are making our original purpose – preparing college-educated teachers – more critical than ever as the nation faces a critical shortage of teachers.
We strive to give students in every College of Education program the best experience and preparation possible. You can make a difference. We encourage you to help by donating to one of the following areas, all of which align with our commitment to high-quality teaching, rigorous research and engaged service, as we prepare students to lead in their chosen profession
Did you know that nearly 84% of our full-time students need some sort of financial aid, but only a quarter are currently receiving scholarship support? Can you imagine being one flat tire away from dropping out of school? These are the true challenges of obstacles of matching ambitions with realities. Our Project Graduate program helps juniors and seniors, who often must give up jobs or drastically reduce hours to participate in student-teaching and internships, to cross that finish line and graduate. Your gift could also assist students in buying textbooks, paying for exam fees or assisting with child care expenses.
COLLEGE STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
By supporting the College of Education’s strategic priorities, you help fund important and innovative new and current initiatives that keep us as a top college choice.
- PLEDGE: Our new “Partnering to Lead and Empower District-Grown Educators” (PLEDGE) program confronts the national and Illinois teacher shortage, using innovative strategies and impactful programs to attract new teachers who know their communities, understand the culture and want to stay.
- Program Enhancement and Innovative Practice: We continually examine, update and enhance our curriculum, ensuring it is current, cutting-edge and relevant in preparing our students for the careers of tomorrow.
- Student Engagement: We cultivate a welcoming, inclusive and supportive space for students to learn in the classroom and in the field, whether it’s throughout the region, across the country or around the world. With that sense of belonging, advocacy and opportunity, our students are empowered to broaden their horizons, practice their craft and prepare to succeed and lead.
- Facilities: We are steadfast in transforming and revitalizing our buildings and spaces to include flexible learning areas for modern and future uses.
- Faculty: Investing in our faculty members, who include five NIU Presidential Professors, three endowed professors and six Fulbright scholars, enable them to travel for research, professional development and service to their fields. They are active teachers and researchers who regularly launch and develop new programs (some funded by the college’s internal grant opportunities) to advance their scholarship, their service and, most importantly, their work with our students who collaborate with them on research.